Why You Should Blindly Trust Your Subconscious

I don't know about you but when I go to sleep at night I don't worry that I'll stop breathing and die. I'm actually so careless and irresponsible that even when I'm awake I don't do the breathing. Naaah... someone else does it for me. It was built to serve the conscious part of myself and it loves to do it.

If you're one of those guys with Freudian ideas arguing that calling the part that does the breathing for you is the unconscious and bla bla bla, I'm sorry for your disease. Complexophilia can be hard to overcome. I'm also sorry that your god is science. OK, I'm just lying about being sorry for your first problem but I am honestly sorry for people that have science for a god. It just seems pointless to live if I'm just a big chunk of meat, running around and my brain is actually me or I am my brain. This is YOU, it's not me, yuck! Honestly, who can look at that picture and say "Yeah, that's all there is to it, I'm that disgusting piece of brain, trapped in a box of bone, alone in the dark". Pretty sad, isn't it?

Well, I believe that my body is a tool, my brain is also a tool and I am the one that's using them all. It's like having my own personal robot with super cool features and using it to experience life on a blue planet. That's why most people become robots in life. They start to identify with the object they are using. I'm not saying it's not a wonderful object by the way.

So let's take a look under the hood. I have no idea where exactly the subconscious is (comes as a shock, doesn't it, I mean considering the theme of the site and all...). I think it's everywhere. I tend to believe that its central place is the solar plexus. I tend to believe that it is both spiritual and physical. I believe it is genius. I tend to believe it's more of a concept rather than a totally tangible physical thing. It's a sum of a lot of things, that make a perfect system. I believe it is powerful. I don't know exactly what it is, I know HOW it works and WHAT it does. I read about it, I tested it, I saw what happens. It's a great thing to have. So why don't we trust it?

Here's a quote from a great book (Psycho-Cybernetics):
We are able to accomplish the goal of picking up the cigarettes because of an automatic mechanism, and not by "will" and forebrain thinking alone. All that the forebrain does is to select the goal, trigger it into action by desire, and feed information to the automatic mechanism so that your hand continually corrects its course.

In the first place, said Dr. Wiener, only an anatomist would know all the muscles involved in picking up the cigarettes. And if you knew, you would not consciously say to yourself, "I must contract my shoulder muscles to elevate my arm, now I must contract my triceps to extend my arm, etc.". You just go ahead and pick up the cigarettes, and are not conscious of issuing orders to individual muscles, nor of computing just how much contraction is needed.

When "YOU" select the goal and trigger it into action, an automatic mechanism takes over.
Your conscious mind can't even pick up a cigarette. Don't believe it? Try it! Try using conscious thought alone to pick up a cigarette. The only way you would be able to do that is with telekinesis but even then, the subconscious is involved :).

So, we trust our subconscious for a lot of tasks like: breathing, moving, running, walking, driving a car, playing a piano, writing, swimming, talking, getting an erection. But what do we do when we want to achieve a goal? Conscious effort, conscious effort, conscious effort, conscious effort, conscious effort, conscious effort, conscious effort and some more conscious effort. Yet we can't even lift up a cigarette using that. How about conscious deciding? How about thinking about the WHAT and not about the HOW? How about letting the conscious mind being what it is: The BoSS! And how about letting that subconscious work and deliver results. It will take care of ideas and also action. It will keep asking for permission even. It will give you an idea and say "Do you like that?". And you could say yes. Then it will ask "Now I'll make your body work for it but you can still relax. Permission to proceed?".

This turned into a long post but the main idea is: if you trust that Something keeps you breathing while you sleep, then trust the same thing for everything else. That voice in your head can't do anything practical. It can only give orders. Learn to use your conscious mind as the thing that thinks, gives you logic, decides and learn to trust your subconscious and let it do it's job. It's always on the job.

And also... know that there is always an effect on it, no matter how small, when you say/think/feel something. The intensity of the effect is depending on the intensity and number of repetitions of whatever you said/thought/felt.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. very interesting article. I enjoyed reading it, and also enjoyed your analogies and how they summed up to your main idea.
    I've read similar ideas on Dr. Robert Anthony articles, he has a program called Deliberate Creation Instant Self-Hypnosis and there he talks about how the Conscious mind is the "captain of the ship" and the subconscious mind represents "the crew".

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is no you and the disgust you try to convey is only disgusting because you think fairytales are part of reality and is necessary for being happy and successful. Load of bull.

    ReplyDelete